Saturday, January 8, 2011

Nostalgia



This year for Christmas some dear friends gave me a fabulous gift...the board game "Masterpiece: The Art Auction Game" which they have searched garage sales for 2 years before scoring a hit. My parents gave the very same game to me in 1970 the year it debuted. Even though I couldn't get any of my 4 siblings interested in playing it, I poured over the 24 color reproduced cards depicting historically grand paintings and became completely enchanted! Today I can still vividly recall how impressed I was! The full color reproductions from El Greco to Edward Hopper planted a sense of art history in my young little brain. I marveled over the differing styles, compositions and colors, not realizing the future impact this would generate. Leafing through them today I am struck by one thing in particular....Mary Cassatt was the only female artist represented. We've come a long way baby!! BTW....last week the 4 of us played the game and had a lot of fun bidding and buying masterpieces. My husband collected the most in value, but overall I think I am the winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment