Friday, March 18, 2011

Little Bill Engelhart ~ Jazz and Blues Legend


Sometimes I have to stop and pinch myself I have so much fun in this business of art! Especially since starting my FACE project last July. To date I have painted 50 portraits which I call FACEs. (read about  it more here) Recently I met and painted a man who turns out to be a Pacific NW legend in jazz and blues, Little Bill Englehart. For 3 years I have been sweating it out in aerobics class with his wife Jan and had not a clue until a few weeks ago who Bill was. I guess I really don't mind being clueless in this way...it makes for happy surprises and no prejudgment along the way. My time spent painting Little Bill was delightful! He told me stories of his life and I slathered paint!

Last weekend my husband and I took some friends to hear Bill perform with his band Little Bill and the Bluenotes and my life got even better! Without this project I would not have met so many wonderful people and I would have missed out on the privilege of knowing Little Bill and experiencing firsthand his astounding talent, gentle nature, vast story-telling skills and generosity. And his wife Jan is such a dear person who has the energy and spirit of a young girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment