Thursday, December 29, 2011

Holiday Hi-Jinx


Son Jorel and Dave on Christmas morning

I do believe in miracles and lately Dave is proof positive they exist!
The turning point came in Texas...quite possibly it occurred at the Alamo on our first day there. At any rate he came home a different person than before we left. 

The distances we walked improved his endurance, the museums we visited stimulated his reading skills and the sheer amount of decisions we made each day on what to do and where to go improved his speech and comprehension skills. We both glimpsed fleeting moments of normalcy and Dave built an attitude of confidence not yet seen. 

Traveling was great but coming home is always a comfort. With just a week before Christmas it was the craziest time for me. The reward was a Christmas much, much better than we even hoped for! On the 24th and 25th Dave had a huge break through with his language skills. He fielded 2 phone calls from good friends and held his own conversationally among a crowd of 23 on Christmas Day. It was so great to hear!!! It was the high point since his stroke. It continues to be up and down but it shows us what we can look forward to.

Dave’s playful nature and mischievous wit has returned. On Christmas morning he and son Jorel got a surprise in their stocking from Santa and I asked them to pose donning their gay apparel for me (see photo above). They are such good sports! It sparked a great idea for next year’s Christmas cards….Oh I feel so sorry for my boys having to deal with me!

Dave is holding up much better than I am during this period. The typical pressures of the season coupled with my impending foot surgery tomorrow morning have combined to create a not so pretty Cheryl. Keeping a grip on my emotions has been a challenge the past few weeks. I look forward to the days I will actually have time to get to the gym and into my studio!! Dave probably does too……

But for now I will have to keep working on that patience thing…sheesh! I guess I need that lesson for I am going under the knife again on my blasted foot injury from “H-E-Double Hockey Sticks”. I am ready to put this chapter in the rear view mirror! In preparation Dave tells me he is ready to drive. This week he has been in training and I have to say I was less nervous the first time our son took the wheel. But I will encourage him with anything that will spur his independence! The next couple of weeks will be interesting...I will keep you posted and let you know if we will be in need of an intervention of some sort.

1 comment:

  1. Love the Gay Apparel and absolutely think a Christmas Card is in order! Hang in there Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete