Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Cumbersome Commuter




Transportation is troublesome…especially in Seattle where excessive growth and tight topography create limitations. Add a politically correct environment stirred with the need to create committees and task forces and you get STALEMATE! One of the only reliable means for public transportation continues to be the bus…so I decided to pose one of my FACEs at the bus stop across the street from my house.

The lovely model is my niece, Stephanie, whom I have painted several times before in my more traditional work. She is such a busy young lady who lives 90 minutes away over a mountain pass that the chance to paint her is slim. When she had a recent hiatus from work I jumped at the chance to have her part of my project and to spend some quality time with her!

Steph is a country girl at heart and anyone who knows her would chuckle at the image of her as a city girl waiting for a bus loaded down with luggage. But the irony is the thing here…for me leastwise. In the past I tried to convince her to move down to the city and immerse herself in the vibrancy Seattle has to offer but she balked. Now she is even more firmly ensconced in her rural ways and I am happy for her. I love the country myself but think that youth should revel in urban delights before settling in for a bucolic existence. Steph is accustomed to her opinionated Auntie, so I hope I am forgiven here as well!

My initial vision for her photo was as a naturalistic tree-hugger sort but that was not meant to be due to a late Spring in our region so I am saving that for a future victim. We did manage to take a few shots with trees but I liked the commuter one in the end. And I got a memento of the luscious luggage I bought to use for a trip but ended up returning to the store. I believe they would have really stood out in the airport dontcha think??? 





No comments:

Post a Comment