Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Listening to Your Inner Voice


Fragile Worlds ~ 18x9 oil on aluminum 

At times over the years I have struggled with the meaning behind what I do. I look around society and see doctors, teachers, paramedics, therapists, soldiers and so many many occupations that serve a definite purpose, a greater good. I have questioned the validity of art and what good does it actually do...is it even necessary? I imagine I am not alone in having these thoughts....other artists must at times also wrestle with this notion of worthwhile-ness. Often we are marginalized in society, misunderstood or stereotyped to the extreme. None of that bothers me, but what is important to me and one of my main goals is to make an impact with my art.

Not long ago I voiced this out loud to a non-artist who happens to have several of my paintings hanging in his home. He was alarmed that I would think this way and adamantly proclaimed how important and meaningful it was for him to come home and see my art each day. It makes him feel better about life. Because of this I no longer question my art. I HAVE TO create...I have no choice it is so strongly rooted within me....therefore it is convenient that I can cut that demon loose!

So that brings me to the current direction in my work. During my 30 years of oil painting I have painted and studied many genres: still life, figurative, landscape, animal. It is the last one that truly resonates for me and the past several years I have devoted myself wholly to the representation of animals, most often wildlife. As a mature individual I know that this love of all creatures is deeply rooted and cannot be denied. I have endeavored to create images of animals not as beasts, but as living, loving, intellegent beings with a full spectrum of emotions.


Polarized ~ 16x12 oil on aluminum 

I am also a person who tries to be apolitical, to keep a distance between myself and the hotbed of controversy that surrounds the politcal world. But with the continuing environmental roll backs it is becoming more and more difficult for me to sit on my hands/wear a blindfold/keep the muzzle on my mouth. I began to have visions of paintings, statements voicing the helplessness I feel for nature and her denizens. Ironic and sometimes playful images of my view of how the world is changing in a not so positive direction. A voice for the voiceless in the form of color, texture and shape. In the pictorial form of narrative and the many stories to be conjured from a single painting.

I have listened to myself respectfully and responded accordingly. Currently I am creating a body of work to represent these thoughts and emotions. Juxtaposing creatures preposterously with humans or with each other in scenes that may evoke whimsy or wisdom, deep thought or dimples of delight. Viewers choice!! Heck! You most likely will discover a notion or message that never occurred to me! No matter your response my goal is to elicit one....and hopefully...make an impact.


Stacked in Their Favor ~ 12x10 oil on aluminum 


1 comment:

  1. Cheryl you are a fabulous painter! I personally would love you to speak for the more and more animals that are being added to the endangered species! If you could be an out and out spokesman for these animals you could get lots of notariety! You are cut out for it and would be great! Tv spots, etc I could see a documentary!

    ReplyDelete