Tuesday, November 30, 2010

ART AS THERAPY

I was doing the avoidance thing today…you know what I am talking about…avoiding thinking about something stressful or hurtful. I took my husband to the hospital this morning for his second knee replacement surgery this year and I was still hurting emotionally from a tough issue with a dear one the day before…so I had plenty on my mind! I dodge these feelings by confronting my easel and JUST PAINTING! Standing in front of my easel wielding paint-slathered brushes and swiping them across the canvas has proven the best remedy! I am forced to put my mind to the task and forget to roll my troubles around inside my head. During the physical process of painting I have a multitude of decisions to make and these consume my thoughts: Is the drawing correct? Do I make this warmer or cooler? Is this mixture of paint in harmony with the rest? Should I lose this line or make it sharp? Does this area need to be darker, or does that one need to be lighter? Should I take a break and have a drink? Well….taking a break is useful cuz walking back into my studio and seeing the painting afresh is good critique. As for having that drink…is it 5 o’clock yet?!

No comments:

Post a Comment