Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Decadent Debutante



Last night I returned from my first ever trip to New Orleans, a city that I have been fascinated with ever since I read my first Anne Rice novel. I loved it! I packed my paints for this trip as I had a session lined up with my friend Holly, who moved there with her husband the year after Katrina. I have known Holly since she was 17 and now….many years later she still exudes a freshness of youth and this is no easy feat in 100 degree heat! Her youthful vitality along with being in a Southern City is why Debutante came to mind.
My husband and I stayed at a place on St. Charles Ave. and we loved our rooms! We could watch the historic streetcars zipping up and down the Ave. and envision the spectacle of the Mardi Gras and Carnival parades from the balcony. Many trees, fences and street wires were still festooned with beads from the most recent parade season. I scouted the perfect location for our photo on one of my morning walks along this route…a decrepit and decayed home of former grandeur that now houses several apartments.  
As we set up to take the photo the door opened and a surly looking man emerged. He eyed us with suspicion and barely grunted a reply when I explained our presence. He shuffled across the sagging weather-beaten floorboards and ensconced himself on the creaking porch swing, promptly lighting up a morning cigar. I had to stifle a laugh since his presence in the background added the perfect touch! I was only sorry that the lighting was not right at that particular moment and we had to return a couple hours later. He was of course gone by then but the light was right and this is the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment