Tuesday, October 11, 2011

DAY 15 A.S. (After Stroke)


It is hard for me to relate the changes that have happened with Dave and his stroke. I do know that life will be divided into “Before the Stroke” and “After the Stroke”. It has had a profound impact on our lives and we will both work hard to get as close to normal as possible. What I do know is that we cannot afford to dwell on what we can no longer do….we MUST emphasize what we CAN do. 

I know it has been awhile since my last post and a few of you have contacted me worried that something was awry. Do not fret! Life has just been crazy busy and Dave is doing fine. Over the weekend I didn’t see him so much mostly because I had our grandson over for some “Granny time”. He needed me and I needed him.

I knew that Dave was in good hands and could use his free time on Sunday to watch the Seahawks play what turned out to be an impressive victory. Over the weekend he also got visits from our grandson and a few close family members and friends. I am still being all “Mama Bear Protective” of him as far as visitors goes. He gets so fatigued with all his therapy sessions and it is important that he gets plenty of rest so he can keep progressing. There will be time in the future for face to face.

That being said….he is still making improvements ~ physically much faster than speech-wise. I am amazed at what he is capable of compared to a mere week ago. I am constantly reminded of how much children grow and learn and this is similar to witness. His strength in completing tasks is good and his determination continues.

I am doing what I can to take care of myself too as so many of you have urged me to do. Last week I made it into the gym for a couple of workouts and I plan to continue this week. The thought of painting still feels remote and inaccessible. I have had lots of offers of help and things are getting accomplished. We are so very blessed!

There is talk that Dave may be released this Friday to come home. I have to be frank and say this makes me very nervous! I don’t feel prepared yet. He will need someone around 24/7 and will need to continue outpatient therapy for who knows how long. I pray that I will be whatever he needs me to be and to be strong, loving, patient and capable. A phrase that constantly slips from Dave's lips:  “It is what it is”, mine has been: “Everything is going to be okay”. I believe I am trying to convince myself of this again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment