Thursday, October 6, 2011

Solving Puzzles

At hospitals and rehab centers it seems there is always a jigsaw puzzle in progress in the public areas. I love puzzles and it never fails that I get seduced into fiddling around with them. Just tonight as I left Dave's room I almost made it out the main door....but the siren call of the puzzle sucked me in. You know they are similar to slot machines and getting one win that keeps you there. Once you get one piece fitted you can't seem to walk away and then you are hooked! This time I managed to pull myself away from it after just 4 pieces.

Dave has "Aphasia" which is a difficulty with language due to the stroke. He is working hard to learn to express himself each day but it will be a marathon that could go on the rest of his life. People with this disability are often tagged as stupid because they say the wrong things or even worse...their speech is garbled or nonsense. Aphasia does not affect the personality, intelligence, cognisance, nor the humor of the individual, just their ability to relate in words. Dave is the same ole smart ass as always!

Each day he is progressing with his right side physical strength. He is stronger and learning to control his muscle movements with more dexterity. He is walking to and from his room to the dining room at meal times with guidance. Balance is more of an issue here. He is going up and down stairs with guidance as well.

I may miss a OT or PT appt. now and then but it is during speech therapy that I make sure I am always present. I am very fascinated by this therapy...maybe cuz I love words and talking so much? At any rate I think of it as solving puzzles and unless I am really tired I don't mind so much.

With "Aphasiacs" it is important to talk slowly, simply and with eye contact. We also use a notepad to make sure what is said is correct since the opposite meaning can come out. Yes may be No and vice verse....so this is the most important skill he is learning right now: to say Yes or No with accuracy. As the days turn into weeks and then into months Dave will be seeing more and more of you and it is important to understand this. He is talking quite well most of the time but gets stuck at others.

I know I may be making this seem really complex and maybe even a bit scary...but really we have had plenty of laughs! Humor was one of the things that bonded us in the beginning and it will be the thing that gets us through this. I am so very proud of how hard he works at everything he does! His determination is remarkable and his attitude is admirable!!!

Thanks to all who have sent messages and cards of encouragement and support! A special thanks to the guys at Sequoyah Electric (where Dave retired from) for the gorgeous flower arrangement. We especially liked the big black spider on top!!






No comments:

Post a Comment