Sunday, October 2, 2011

Improvements ~ email sent Thursday 9-29

First off I need to apologize if I haven't returned your calls or texts. I am trying to do so but with Dave being so popular it is a bit beyond me right now. We both REALLY appreciate your love and support and prayers!!!

Today Dave has made improvements and I continue to praise him! He is talking a bit better than yesterday and this is one of the most encouraging things for both of us!! The frustration level has been tough with how hard it has been for him to communicate. He has been able to draw with his left hand with amazing accuracy and has performed very well with the speech therapist this morning. He was sitting up in a chair eating breakfast when I came in and was excited to see I had brought him his beloved Diet Coke :)

He got a visit from Homer today and that cheered him up. Just looking at him you wouldn't know he has suffered a stroke. His face does not droop or anything.....not Homer....Dave. Homer's ears do droop but he can't help it.

Dave is off oxygen now and got to have a shower...yay! He is learning to dress himself but needs a lot of help at this point. He was very emotional when I got here. I have been wondering if he would break down and I encouraged him to let his emotions go. It seemed to help. I have been passing on all your thoughts and good wishes and will continue to do whatever it takes to give him hope and determination to come back as much to normal as possible.

We are waiting for the head honcho from the rehab facility here at NW called "Easy Street" to come assess him for his next step in this journey. We are told he is a good candidate for this program and we are hopeful he will be accepted. The location is convenient for the family to visit and for me to support him...but of course I would go unarmed on a 3 hour rickety bus ride through Nicaraguan mudslides if that is what it takes!

FYI...Jorel's knee surgery today went well and he is resting at home. Again....feel free to share this email but Mom is still traveling and does not know this news so please do not post anything on Facebook or share with people that might divulge to her before she is home by our side.

Thank you all for your love and support and wonderful offers!!! When I have a chance to think I will be asking for help and I do appreciate it!!

Love you all!  ~Cheryl

Later ~ I am home now and it is almost 8 pm. The PSE workers have been at my house for at least 2 hours and they have been concerned about our gas meter and such....you know about the gas leak that blew that house up? That was in my neighborhood and I guess they are being extra attentive to our house tonight. I don't know if that makes me feel safer or not....but they are saying we have no worries......Ahhhhhhhhh.....LIFE WITH THE KINGS! 

No comments:

Post a Comment