Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Easy Street

Today Dave was finally moved to the rehabilitation center called "Easy Street" (and what a misnomer that is!) It should be called "Kick Ass Street"...but I am quibbling.

Since he didn't get over there until after 11 he had his 3 therapies in quick succession: Speech, Occupational and Physical. He did great in all three but I have to say that I am most fascinated with the speech aspect. This will be by far the most challenging obstacle for Dave to overcome. For instance: today before I left he kept saying to me "Pain Problem" but insisted it had nothing to do with pain. After about 10 minutes of part charades, part 20 questions and plenty of writing words in his work book and eliminating possibilities I finally cracked the code!! He wanted me to bring him 2 certain books from home!

The challenge for stroke patients with "Aphasia" like Dave has is the frustration they have when they think one word but it comes out something completely different. We try to be patient with one another and laugh when we can. It does help that I have had 33 years with this lug of a guy and we can anticipate the others thoughts and desires.

As exhausted as I am at this moment....and believe me I will be sawing logs within 5 minutes of concluding this posting.....I am exhilarated as well at how far Dave is coming. He is showing incredible fortitude of character, strong determination and positive willingness to do whatever it takes! I just LOVE this man!!!

Oh yeah....and he walked 200 feet today!!!!! Won't be long and he will be leaping tall buildings in a single bound......

G'night!

No comments:

Post a Comment